Thursday, April 1, 2010

The 50-Day Fast

Every year my church fasts corporately for 50-days from Easter Sunday to Pentecost, the celebration of the first fruits of the harvest following the Latter Day rains. It is also the celebration of the birth of the church. In Old Testament times, it signified the time of the giving of the Law to Moses; so how fitting that God selected the same celebration to birth and ordain the church, which ushered in the dispensation of Grace that replaced the Law. We're connected to Christ through His Grace!

This year's theme, Be Ye Transformed, is especially fitting for me. Over the past few years, my weight has slowly crept up, up, and away. when I graduated from college, I was about 170 and wore a size 12. Now I'm around 210 and wearing a 16. I'm 5'10" and I "carry weight well," as they say, because it's evenly distributed. But it's still not healthy for me to carry around all this extra.

All this weight gain is linked to a number of major events: grad school (mindless eating while studying), too much tv (mindless eating while vegging), and not exercising as much in general, to name a few. Notice how many of the reasons have to do with the mind. I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. Change is (or can be) partial, but transformation is all-encompassing. I know I have to think differently and then my behavior has to change to match, until healthy living is actually my normal, sustained, consistent lifestyle. I have to believe, receive, and apply God's Word, which says in 1 Corinthians 6:19, "...know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

It's time to live it!

I'm going to post throughout this fast, which I believe is going to transform my life -- physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. And I invite you to join me, if you feel led of God to do so. I'm so excited! I'll post more info about the details of the fast soon, as well as healthy substitutes I'm learning about for common foods, recipes, exercise (which I actually started in January and have continued regularly), etc.

:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How's the fast going?

Unknown said...

I'm so bad about following up on comments to my blogs, so I apologize for the late add. The fast has been fantastic! It has completely changed the way I eat. I'm about to do a post with one of my fave new quick recipes, the homemade veggie pocket.