Monday, December 6, 2010

Winterizing my Hair

Eureka! I have finally realized the importance of writing down the basics of what I'm doing to my hair so I can know what's working and what's not. I'm hoping this will help me perfect my regimen.

* 35 is too chilly for wash-n-gos, so I've gone from twice a week to every other. I use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap (Target), Dr. Wood's Shea Vision liquid soap (EarthFare), Giovanni Direct Tea Tree Shampoo, or plain old Ivory bar soap. With the liquid soaps (Bronners, Woods) a little goes a long way.


* I co-wash weekly using whatever happens to be on hand. Lately, it's Herbal Essences Totally Twisted or Modern Organic Products (MOP) Mixed Greens. MOP isn't as rich as I would like for the winter. I might have to re-visit AOHR.

* To catch the drips I use a micro-fiber turby-towel thing I found at TJMaxx. I don't know how much it cost, but I know it was cheap because... well, because I'm cheap. This cuts drying time in half.

* After getting dressed, I remove the turby, add a moisturizer, such as KBB Hair Milk. Then I seal with (in order of preference) grape seed oil, olive oil, or cold-pressed castor oil. Basically, I use a quarter size amount and gently rub it onto my damp hair from root to end. In terms of achieving and keeping my hair moisturized, I've achieved FANTASTIC results since I started sealing a few months ago. I can't believe I didn't start doing that sooner... like 3 years ago when I first went free-form.



Oh, dear Grape Seed Oil, where have you been all my life?

* After sealing I typically stretch it in some way, because it's easier to do this when it's all damp than when it's dry. I either two-strand twist or band it with satin-covered scrunchies.

No comments: