Friday, March 16, 2012

My First Product Review! Sunny Isle Products

Hey y'all!  Some cool hair-related things came to fruition this month.

I just started doing product reviews for NaturallyCurly.com! For me, this means tons of hair stuff coming in the mail and a whole new set of reasons to post more often on YouTube. But, if you've heard about my sensitivity to clutter, you know I can't keep all this stuff, so I'm going to share the love with my peeps -- those of you who follow the blog or the YouTube channel (Shonesters). More to come on that soon...

The brand is Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil and I tested their shampoo, conditioner, and the rosemary-scented pomade. Without further adieu, here's my first "official" product review video on all three products. Get the nitty-gritty details on the shampoo and conditioner after the jump.  More details on the pomade and other products will be posted over the weekend here on the blog.




My Stats...

  • Hair type: 4a/3c, mostly fine strands but thick hair. Picture it this way... if my scalp was a city, it would be a dense metropolis with many thin citizens. 
  • Length: To the collarbone when stretched from the nape of my neck.
  • My hair drinks product easily and tends to do better with butters than oils. 
  • My hair is not really protein-sensitive. I usually do a protein treatment every 2-4 weeks with great fortifying results (read: less breakage).
  • I generally wash every 7-10 days. Today is Day 5 since I tested these products.
  • I'm frugal. I rarely pay more than $10 for a bottle of anything. If I pay $20 or more, it better be a multi-tasking genius.
Disclaimer: No one's paying me for this review, but I did receive the products at no cost.


Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil Moisturizing Shampoo
Their website says, "Our 100% natural Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil Moisturizing Shampoo for all hair types is combined with our Organic Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Natural Aloe, Glycerin, and pure Lavender Essential Plant Oil. You need this product if... you want to nourish, thicken and strengthen your hair, you want to gently clean and moisturize your hair, you want to stimulate your scalp, and you love the scent of lavender to calm your senses with the aromatic scent of the Shampoo."
JBCO Moisturizing Shampoo


Ingredients:  Jamaican Black Castor Oil, natural aloe, glycerin, pure lavender essential plant oil.  


Pros:  When I wash, I focus on getting my scalp clean and free of build-up while my hair basically just goes along for the ride. A half-dollar size squirt did a great job of cleansing everything without stripping my hair. The lavender scent is light and unobtrusive.The lather is surprisingly luxurious, better in fact than one of my faves, SheaMoisture's Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo.  I also consider the simple ingredient list a plus. 


Cons:  At around $12.60 for an 8-oz bottle, this is on the high end of what I would pay for shampoo, but I would buy this product. I like it that much. FYI, as of today, it costs more on Amazon than it does on their website. A pump top rather than a squeeze cap would be nice, but that's not a deal-breaker for me. Also, there are no instructions for use on the bottle, but hey -- it's shampoo.


The Verdict:  It's a keeper! I'll be using this until it runs out and will probably buy more.


Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil Natural Deep Conditioner

Their website says, "Our 100% natural Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil Deep Conditioner for all hair types is combined with our Organic Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Pure Lavender Essential Plant Oil, Wheat and Oat Proteins. Our Deep Conditioner formula soothes, moisturizes, thickens and strengthens your hair. Sunny Isle Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil Deep Conditioner will leave your hair smooth and healthy-looking."

JBCO Deep Conditioner


Ingredients:  Jamaican Black Castor Oil, vegetable glycerin, pure lavender essential plant oil, wheat, oats. 


Pros:  The light lavender scent is a winner. The consistency and look of it is similar to KCKT (Kinky-Curly Knot Today). It rinses clean and doesn't leave any filmy feeling behind. The ingredient list is short and sweet. The wheat means "proteins" to me, and since my hair responds well to proteins, this is all good!


Cons:  It's $13.90 for an 8-oz bottle, which is on the high end for me.  There are no directions on the bottle or the website for how long to leave this in, whether to use it with heat, etc. The #1 thing I look for in a conditioner is slip.  From a deep conditioner, I expect slip AND penetrating qualities to strengthen or moisturize my hair. Unfortunately, this product doesn't have much slip BUT I think I would use this as a leave-in, the same way I use SheaMoisture's Deep Treatment Masque as a leave-in and styling product.


The Verdict:  I'm so-so on this one, but I really want to love it.  I will try again next time with a heat cap, and might re-purpose it as a soft hold curl styling cream. To be fair, I did use it like a "regular" conditioner (put it in for a few minutes, rinsed it out).


Again, it's Day 5, and despite the warm weather and me being sort of a sweaty person, my hair and scalp feel really good.  


Be on the lookout for that product giveaway as early as next week! Thanks for watching and reading.  Have a blessed, safe and lovely weekend. :-)

No comments: