Sunday, July 17, 2011

Back from Vacation in Tobago

July 2011

Our highly-anticipated vacation on the island of Tobago finally came to fruition!  We spent ten days on the island living in the guest home of a family friend.  Tobago is simply gorgeous.  From breathtaking vistas to the multi-color blue ocean, and from the wonderful food (we ate right off the land) to the friendly people, those 10 days on the island blew me away.  The beaches we visited were so crystal clear... there's just so much to share from that trip, I'll have to break it up over a few days.

I noticed most women wore relaxed/straight styles, but I saw plenty of people -- men, women and kids -- with locs.  I only saw a handful of free form naturals/fros.  I've heard/read on other blogs that natural products are a bit harder to find in T&T.  I visited a few stores to see what kind of hair products the average person might score.  It was pretty much the same as what you'd see in an average BSS -- lots of petrolatum, mineral oil, etc.  I did notice the full line of Herbal Essences products.

As for my own hair, I was all over the place.  Because I swam in the ocean several times and took multiple showers a day due to heat and sweating, my plan for wearing twists the entire time just did not hold up.  I did twists, twist-outs, wash-n-go, puffs, and even had my friend do a couple of french braids one day.  Shea butter was my bestie for sealing and those basic styles.  My wash regimen didn't seem to be as effective, perhaps because the water was... harder?  It reminded me of West Texas, where soap didn't lather quite as well.  Even my normally very sudsy Dr. Wood's Shea Vision Liquid Black Soap didn't froth for me.  In the end, it didn't matter much.  Hair was easily a distant second to the daily activities, rest, great food, etc.  

More to come on Tobago :)

3 comments:

Chelsea's Girl said...

Wow I've always wanted to visit there! I'm sure you had such an amazing time. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Xx

http://chelseasgirl.wordpress.com/

http://theidea-generator.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks, Chelsea's Girl! I can see from your blog you are one who loves to travel as well. I look forward to reading more of your work :)

Kcurly said...

Oh my gosh, it sounds fantastic (except for the lack of good hair products!!)