Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 18: A Problem That You've Had

30-Day Blog Challenge

I love cartoons, but I'm having a bit of a time finding the ones I can use without getting sued.  The cartoon below happens to be free for me to use (Thanks, Dave! wherever you are), and it speaks to one of my problems:

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons.



My problem is not past tense "had" but rather one I still have:  procrastination.


*Sigh* Procrastination is a nasty, rotten scoundrel.  He is a direct descendant of laziness (sloth).  They have a legacy of leading to things piling up.  Things like laundry, mail, yard work, and assignments.  I am telling the truth to shame the devil.  Procrastination can lead to lateness, which is not godly.  It effects other people adversely when we're late.  This is another thing I'm battling.  But anyway...

I am happy to report I have actually gotten better at not procrastinating.  I realized I needed to literally schedule things for myself.  I use Google Calendar to do this, which is also conveniently linked to my Droid phone, so it's almost always at my fingertips.  I also utilize a To Do List app on my phone, which helps me a lot when I visit places like Super Target... which is one of my favorite places to procrastinate.  Super Target is the light, and I am the dumbfounded moth.  It's those sales on the end caps, man! They get me every time.  And of course, the Internet is like the mansion where procrastination lives.

Another solution for procrastination in the area of cleaning or yard work is the 15-minute rule.  Throughout each day, I purpose myself to focus on one room or specific task for 15 minutes.  I actually set a timer, and when the buzzer goes off, I stop.  The key is to be completely focused on what you're doing for that entire 15 minutes.  It's actually quite impressive when you see how much you can accomplish in a kitchen in 15 intensely focused minutes.

I hope this helps someone else, and if you have any tips or ideas to share on how to combat that old stinky procrastination, I'm all ears (or eyes, since this is a blog).

No comments: