Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 20: Your Fears

30-Day Blog Challenge

Rather than focus on fear, I prefer to examine the concept of courage.

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD. - Psalm 31:24, KJV
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. - Joshua 1:9, KJV
Source
"Read what my medal says: 'Courage'. Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth?"

Repeatedly in His word, Our Loving and Mighty Father tells us to be strong and courageous.  Have you ever noticed how often those two go hand-in-hand?

When we're strong but lack courage, we muscle up but can't follow through in the clutch.  Here I am, a full-grown woman who can leg press 700 pounds, but when I see a spider or a mouse my first instinct is to cringe.  #embarrassing

Courage without strength reminds me of the 5k I ran last year.  I did the Couch-to-5K plan for a good six months, but then took a break from working out for about a month before the run.  I achieved my goal of running the entire distance, but I was so out of shape I was not able to do my best.  There were points during that run when people who were walking were moving faster than me!  #evenMOREembarrassing

Both of those examples are physical, but I think it's more important to consider how fear vs. courage works for us in a spiritual sense.  Just to give one example, imagine the powerful shift that would take place inside of each of us and the strongholds that would be broken if people overcame their fear of what other people think.

When we operate in Godly strength and courage, we understand and believe what God says about us and we move forward, executing in faith.  I think David is a great example of one who was both strong and courageous.  He was not perfect, but he knew who he was and he operated fearlessly to the glory of God.

No comments: