Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 7: Five Pet Peeves

30-Day Blog Challenge

Five Pet Peeves (in no particular order)

Photo credit
Friends don't let friends chew like cattle.
1. People who chew with their mouths open. I don't want to hear it, and I certainly don't want  to see it. Please, puh-lease breathe through your nose and close your mouth, if you can. So if you see me staring at you incredulously from across the table, you know the dealie.

2. People who treat wait staff poorly. I notice this most often at restaurants. People make an unnecessary mess at the table, tease the waiter, talk badly about them within earshot (how about giving them direct, constructive criticism instead?), and then leave a piddly tip, even when the service was fine. Rude!

3. Men showing their underwear. Brothers, just stop already. It's not cool, attractive, endearing, or masculine to sag your pants. Be an innovator. Start a new trend, because this one has been driven into the ground (pun intended) for like 20 years now. Remember Kris Kross? Notice, however, that we never see their underwear in this video. There is a difference between baggy pants and saggy pants. You can actually wear baggy pants with this novel thing we call a belt, so we don't have to see your unmentionables. Now, saggy skinny jeans simply perplex me.

4. Parents who let their kids do anything and everything. One night not too long ago, I was sitting in my car in the Target parking lot, chatting with my sis on the phone. I saw this little boy -- maybe age 4 or 5 -- run out toward an SUV parked in front of me, but there was no adult nearby so it seemed odd. He went to the side of that SUV, pulled his pants all the way down, and peed. I was floored.  It was out in the open.  He was not hidden at all!  Then a woman, probably in her late 20s or early 30s, walked past him to put her cart in the corral, glanced at him like she didn't know him, like nothing was wrong.  Then both of them got into the SUV and drove off. What. In. The. World.

5. A sense of entitlement. I work in staffing so I see and speak to a lot of candidates. Most have an appropriate amount of confidence blended with humility during job interviews. However, sometimes I meet candidates who make it quite clear we would be idiots if we didn't hire them. Most of the time, we don't hire them.

No comments: